Thursday, June 15, 2017

Northern Flicker

Northern Flicker

Shelley looked out the window and asked "What kind of bird is that?". I recognized the Northern Flicker's red on the back of the head and black on the chest. They're a kind of woodpecker, but unlike most, they often feed on the ground. Ants are a common food, which might explain why it was on our lawn - we have lots of anthills.

Northern Flicker

I just watched it at first, assuming it would fly away. But it hung around so I went and grabbed my camera. First I took some photos through the window. Then I went outside quietly and stuck my head around the corner of the house. I got a few shots but it was moving around too much and most of them didn't turn out. Then, finally, it flew away. I'm surprised it hung around as long as it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment