Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Point No Point

My family has been going to Point No Point since I was a kid. It's on Vancouver Island, west of Victoria. I'm not sure why we started going there, it's not famous, and there are lots of other beaches. But it became a tradition that we've continued. I think it was mostly just a tea house when we first started going there. Now there are rental cabins and a restaurant. This was the first time we actually stayed in one of the cabins. It's a little pricey, but we had a nice cabin and enjoyed the private hot tub and a cheery fire. The supper at the restaurant was good. We also had lunch there before we left and were delighted to see two orcas go by.

On the way there we stopped at Whiffen Spit near Sooke, a nice easy walk with good views. This white-crowned sparrow was a cooperative photographic subject.

White-crowned sparrow

This hummingbird also sat still for me, but straight over my head wasn't the best angle!

hummingbird

I love flowers of all kinds, but I'm terrible at identifying them so I have no idea what these were.

flowers

Despite the rainy weather we had good walks through the forest and on the beach at Point No Point. (The beach is private for guests and restaurant customers.)

ferns

ferns

Interesting how the ferns unfurl. Unfortunately, these are not the edible fiddleheads.

This looks like a giant mosquito but I think it's actually a crane fly.

crane fly on fern

This blue jay flew out of the tree where it was hiding and landed right close to us. Which was nice since I only had the little ZS100 since it was easier to keep out of the rain under my jacket.

blue jay

Once you emerge from the forest you are greeted with this wonderful view.

Point No Point

I love looking in the tidepools of rocky shorelines. When I was a kid and we travelled to the coast, the first thing I would do is run down to the shore and start turning over rocks to find a crab. I'm not sure why this one was out in the open.

crab

Goose neck barnacles and mussels.

goose neck barnacles

Unfortunately the sea stars are less common now (due to disease) but there are still anemones. As kids we would poke the anemones with our fingers to make them pull in their tentacles.

anemone

rocky shore

We watched a large group of river otters go by but they didn't come very close. But just after they passed we saw what we thought was one of them on the rocks near us. But looking at the photos afterwards, I think it's a mink.

mink ?

Sunset from our cabin.

sunset

See also Shelley's post

See all 55 photos (sorry, too many!)

No comments:

Post a Comment