Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Fishing Spiders

The fishing spiders are back at the pond at Innovation Place. You have to approach the water slowly, without any sudden movements or else the most you'll see is one diving underwater to hide. Although that in itself is pretty cool. They tend to stick to where there are plants for cover.

Fishing spider

This next one is looking quite fat, I'd guess getting ready to lay eggs.

Fishing spider

These ones are relatively small, with bodies about 3/4 of an inch long, but it's still early in the season.

While I was looking for the fishing spiders I saw a struggling fly caught in a spider web. As I was watching, a spider ran out, grabbed the fly, and disappeared again. It was smaller, not a fishing spider. I didn't get a good enough look (or know my spiders well enough) to identify it. The fishing spiders are hunters, not web makers, although they do make a protective web for their offspring.

These photos were taken with the ZS100.

No comments:

Post a Comment