Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Crocuses

We're tough in Saskatchewan. We don't let a little frost stop us from blooming!

I've been keeping an eye out for the crocuses for the last few weeks. Yesterday was a cold frosty morning but the sun was shining and we'd had some warmer days so I thought I'd take another look. If they were up I thought I might get some photos of them with the frost. Otherwise, the photos were liable to be similar to previous years.

It took a little hunting but I soon spotted the purple blue flowers poking through last year's dead brown grass. I only spotted a handful of plants and they were still relatively early. There should be more coming soon.

crocuses

And sure enough they had frost on them. I just about had frost on me by the time I finished! My sister Penny's later response was that "artists must suffer for their art" :-)

crocuses

I was using the little RX100 which, like many small cameras, only focuses close when wide angle. That isn't always a bad thing though, since it lets you get some background in.

crocuses

I love the ice crystals on this next one. I didn't really see the details till I looked at the photos larger on the computer screen. (It's worth zooming in.) The frost seems to collect on the hairs, perhaps protecting the main part of the plant?

crocuses

crocuses

For more of these photos see all 11 as a slideshow or overview

No comments:

Post a Comment