Thursday, February 11, 2016

Chicago Too

Our last morning in Chicago we headed to the Field Museum. I prefer live animals, but I'd read about it in City Creatures: Animal Encounters in the Chicago Wilderness and thought it was worth checking out.

I’m not sure if it was colder or if it was just the wind direction blowing into shore but there was more ice on the lake. There was a flock of Canada Geese on the way to the aquarium and museum (they’re near each other). You could see their footprints in the fresh snow and see the oval depressions where they’d been lying.

I take some photos of a pair of ducks, the icicles along the shore, and the patterns of the ice in the half frozen lake.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

The Field Museum is interesting, but as expected it contains a lot of stuffed animals, something I’m not really excited about. But they have a huge collection and I was struck by the sheer diversity of animal life on our planet. But also struck by how many are marked as endangered. The stuffed tiger (endangered) not far from the stuffed passenger pigeons (extinct). I fear stuffed animals are the future of much of our wildlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment