Sunday, January 24, 2016

Print of the Week

The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.
- Dorothea Lange
I have my Flickr photos as the screen saver on my Apple TV and this photo happened to come up. As it slid onto the screen I couldn't figure out what it was at first. I like photos like that, where it's something real and natural, but still somewhat abstract, where it puzzles you for a moment. In this case it's also a matter of camouflage. I wonder what slow reptilian thoughts pass through its brain as it waits motionless but alert.

american alligator

The large print (15" x 20") shows off the texture and detail well, a good example of why I like to print my photos. I cringe when I think that a lot of people see photos mostly on tiny phone screens or as a small image in their Facebook feed.

This was one from the Santa Barabara zoo in the fall

No comments:

Post a Comment