Thursday, August 29, 2013

Birds in the Yard

Partly as practice in using my new telephoto lens I've been taking some photos of the birds around our feeder. Mostly we get sparrows, but also some black-capped chickadees, red-breasted nuthatches, and occasionally colorful house finches. The downy woodpecker was a fluke - I heard something in the tree beside me, looked up, and there he was. I swung the camera around and got off a few quick shots before he disappeared. I  caught a few of them in flight, not really intentionally, just because I was shooting high speed bursts.

(click to view 17 photos)
House finch


The birds tend to be quite skittish so I set up peeking around the side of the house. Of course, it's the front yard and they still scatter when someone goes by. Here's me with the new lens, tripod, and gimbal head. You can see the feeder in the tree. I was sitting to get a lower angle - when I stood up I got ugly cars in the background.

Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment