Monday, July 23, 2012

Caterpillars

When I was walking home from work today I noticed some "dirt" on the path. I wondered about it but kept going. A few step further, it crossed my mind that it might be droppings from caterpillars in the tree overhanging the path. I went back and looked up. Sure enough, there were stripped branches and a bunch of caterpillars busily eating the leaves. They haven't done too much damage yet, just a branch here and there. Hopefully they don't spread - I like all the trees at Innovation Place!
(click on the photos to view larger)

Untitled

A few minutes later I came across one of the caterpillars on the path and attempted to get a decent photo. It didn't cooperate very well and kept "running" away.

Untitled

Does anyone know which butterfly or moth it is?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:07 PM

    Looks like a spiny elm caterpillar. Watch out for the spines - they're not just for good looks !

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymphalis_antiopa

    ReplyDelete