Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Tadpole Progression

When I paddled down Beaver Creek on Saturday I explored a cut off oxbow of the creek and discovered some frogs eggs. It was a mass about the size of a grapefruit floating in some weeds. It seemed too large to be produced by a single frog. I decided to take a small number of the eggs to observe them developing. Here is the progression over about 3 days:





I got a lot more tadpoles than I had expected. Depending how big they get the tank may not be big enough for them so I may have to return some. From research on the internet I have offered them some goldfish food. So far they don't seem to be eating. The other recommendation was to boil lettuce to give them. When I was a kid I used to catch tadpoles and watch them develop into frogs (or toads) but I never found any eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment